Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Magnetic Chalkboard

So I had this blank wall in my kitchen. It's just across the island with the cooktop, so I look at it while I'm cooking. I could've put a tiny piece of furniture there, like a small pie safe, but I didn't really want to and besides, I didn't have a pie safe, so I scratched that idea.

I could have done a painting, but I already had one on the other side of the room. So, I did this.


It seemed like a good idea at the time. Some people love it. Some people think it's stupid. No one has told me they hate it, but they could just be being polite...

In case you haven't figured it out yet, it's a magnetic chalk board. I painted a large rectangle of black magnetic paint (3 coats) and covered that with black chalkboard paint (2 coats). I was going to paint some pretty scroll work on the top and bottom or maybe in the corners, like a frame, but I got burned out with the 5 layers of paint I had already done - and the 24 hours between coats required for the magnetic paint.We can write notes and make lists and leave numbers to call each other on, etc., and hang things with magnets. 

Of course that is all lovely in theory, but in reality the chalk board doesn't wash very clean and the magnet part isn't very strong, so if I had it to do over again, I would buy a large chalk board or make a stronger one on a separate piece of wood. As it stood, 5 layers on my drywall seemed like enough...

No comments:

Post a Comment