Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Dining Room


This might be my most favorite room in the entire house. It's seriously high drama. Needless to say, this room and I get along very well. 




I love this archway. This is the view from the living room. The walls are a brown/black I had custom mixed, a take off a color I saw in a design book. The rug (isn't it GORGEOUS?!) came from my neighbor, an antique dealer, who was moving. It's huge and was only $200. Be still my heart.


 The dining table was my grandfather's and I inherited it when he passed away 4 years ago. None of my enormous family wanted it. I'm glad they didn't, but I can't understand why. I think it's stunning.


 The chair and ottoman in the corner are both from Goodwill and the ottoman will definitely get recovered. I haven't decided on the chair yet. That green is so wrong it's right.



. One of my biggest pet peeves is badly placed thermostats. Why on earth would someone put it in the formal dining room? I wanted to do something symmetrical on either side of the archway, but that stupid thermostat kept getting in the way. So, I had to work around it.  

I had a pair of mirrors my grandmother had given me. They were a dingy gold-brown color circa 1978. I spray-painted them raspberry to give a touch of whimsy-meets-glamour and put one on each side of the archway. They look good, but they would look even better without that thermostat. So if you are building a house, take note: please don't put your thermostat in the middle of a room! Put it in a corner or a hallway where it is easily camouflaged.



The buffet came from a local antique shop, $200. The plants are normally outside my front door, but hibiscus do not like the cold, so they are in for the winter. Yes, that is a microwave under there. We never use it but got one while our kitchen was under construction. Now it sits there and is used a few times a month. I should probably take it to the basement.


My father gave me this dresser. It's been in the living room, my daughter's room, my room... Classic dressers are very useful. 



This painting and the smaller one pictured farther up were bought at a starving artist sale. I think both together were about $200, maybe $225. I got the frames at the hobby store when they were half off. Lamps came from a local second-hand store - the pair for $12.


This dining room makes a great spot for family dinners, dinner parties, and book club meetings. Hands down most favorite dining room EVER!

You can see what it looked like before here.

No comments:

Post a Comment